Get Out There And Help The Community

Taslim Mohamed, Staff Reporter

When it comes to standing out in high school, community service is one of the best ways to make your mark. For MBHS, community service is one thing that especially stands out to colleges.

MBHS requires that students do a minimum of 80 hours throughout their four years of high school. Though this may sound like a lot, it makes a tremendous difference when applying to colleges. This number shows that a student has gone out of their way to help out the community free of charge.

“Community service is a really meaningful way for people to learn more about giving back to organizations and or populations of people that they might not have otherwise known about. It’s also, a way people can learn about themselves because everyone is impacted differently by the type of community service work in which they are engaging,” said Ms.Schwarzkopf, MBHS’ guidance counselor.

Every month there are various  community service opportunities within our neighboring communities. This autumn at MBHS, we are having our second annual NYC Cares Day event on October 18th. Students can come in and help out the school in numerous ways, from decorating the hallways to painting murals. Another event that is approaching is the Park Slope Civic Sweep. This event occurs in mid-October and responsibilities are to clean up Park Slope and enjoy your time with other people.