Stephen Curry Wins MVP for 2015 Season

Elias Suarez, Staff Reporter

On Monday May 4th, 2015, on a televised event, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver named Golden State Warriors point guard, Stephen Curry, Kia Motor’s NBA 2015 MVP. Curry’s heartfelt acceptance speech was reminiscent of the 2014 MVP speech delivered by Kevin Durant.

He started his speech by thanking his “Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ” and referring to himself as the Lord’s “humble servant.” He went on to thank his wife and family for their support. It wasn’t until Stephen Curry spoke of his father that he began to tear up.

Stephen Curry was in the top 10 for at least three statistical categories: points per game, assists per game, and three-point field goal percentage; according to ESPN. Not only do his stats display why he won the MVP this season, but his team also went 67-15 this regular season.  Even fellow NBA player, Kevin Durant, is calling Stephen Curry the greatest shooter to ever play basketball.

However, when a few MBHS students were asked their opinion about his victory, there were mixed responses. Houston Rockets Fan and MBHS senior, Noah James, said, “no, James Harden should’ve won.”

Chicago Bulls fan and MBHS Junior Marion McDermott said, “He deserves it. His stats speaks for themselves. Every night he put up big numbers to give his team that W(in). He’s a warrior, man.” He was awarded on the night of May 5th,2015 before GSW lost to the Memphis Grizzlies by seven points. Golden State is currently down in the series against the Grizzlies, 2-1. Curry may have won the MVP, but he still has a ways to go if he wants to take home the chip.