Applying for College

Arianne Bienvenu and Woody Gaston, Staff Reporter

Millennium Brooklyn High School ensures that its students are well equipped with the materials and services needed to make the college process less of a hassle. Under the college tab on the MBHS website, there are links to Naviance and the Common Application.

In the words of Mrs. Sarah Jane Gibbons, “Unanticipated possibilities await you.” The Common App is a worldwide website that allows high school students to apply to multiple colleges. Take Asif Alli for example,“I’ve been doing well with the college process. I have always been willing to ask anyone and everyone for advice in regards to the best colleges relating to economic and social criteria.”

MBHS is using Naviance. Many consider Naviance to be the new Common App, although this isn’t entirely the case. Students, like senior Elias Suarez, have been getting assistance outside of these sources. He says, “I have already applied to four schools. I had a lot of help from Mrs. Gibbons and Ms. Schwarzkopf. It was a little stressful in the beginning because there was an issue with Naviance and the Common App, but the morning I was applying to colleges it was fixed.” Instead of having school officials submit documents such as transcript and recommendation through Common App, students must request these documents through Naviance.

On both applications, students are able to indicate if we are applying for Early Action or Regular Decision. The deadline for Early Action has passed for the Senior class, but there is still regular decision which is due in January 2015. Students are encouraged to work continuously on their part of the application for both Naviance and the Common Application. In the beginning,  it seemed stressful and frustrating, but the excitement of going to college is still effervescent.