Trumps Cuts Federal Protections for Transgender Students

Yesenia Vazquez, Staff Reporter

Two months into his presidency and President Donald Trump has made various changes. One recent change that he has made was taking away federal protections for transgender students in public institutions.

According the CNN, Trump withdrew these protections on Wednesday, February 22.. The protection was for “transgender students in public schools that let them use bathrooms and facilities corresponding with their gender identity.” This protection was “addressed to school districts and colleges that receive federal funding,” according to CNN. The decision to federally protect transgender students after Obama’s understanding of Title IX, “the federal civil rights law that prohibits sex discrimination in education,” according to TitleIX.info.

Obama’s administration concluded that, according to The Washington Post, “prohibiting transgender students from using facilities that align with their gender identity violates federal anti-discrimination laws.”

The Trump Administration notified the nation’s public schools with a two-page “Dear Colleague” letter. A “Dear Colleague” letter, according to wikipedia, is an “official correspondence that is sent by a Member, committee, or officer of the United States House of Representatives or United States Senate and that is distributed in bulk to other congressional offices.” This letter specifically explained that the decision to withdraw the protections was made because “ it lacked extensive legal analysis, did not go through a public vetting process, sowed confusion, and drew legal challenges,” according to The Washington Post. The Trump administration would also like to emphasize  the role of state and local school districts when deciding what to do about the transgender bathroom debate.

I contacted former Millennium Brooklyn High School GSA club facilitator Mr. Curmi concerning the issue. When asking why this roll back is a problem, he explained that New York transgender students may not have a problem, as New york will continue the protection, however “some students live in areas that do not afford them the recognition and protection they need.” Student government member and MBHS senior Aregmi Amigon claimed that “public institutions should all be forced to make accommodation for these students so that everyone’s needs are met.” Allowing transgender students to choose the bathroom with which they identify with helps them feel accepted. Small decisions can mean a significant amount to them. Another MBHS student, who asked to remain anonymous, weighed in on the issue explaining that “what you have physically should indicate which bathroom to use.” They add on that the issue is the safety for men and women, as “any many can go in and say ‘I feel like a women so I have a right to go in there’ and who are we to know that they feel like that,” and that any women can do the same thing.

Many organizations and companies have taken steps to raise awareness for LGBTQ equality. The Human Rights Campaign Foundation, works to achieve LGBTQ equality, and The Center, who empower LGBT people, are examples of such organizations. You can contact these organizations to volunteer and get more involved.