Students Struggling with the Homework Load

Vanessa Angel, Staff Reporter

As students go through different stages in their academic life, homework remains a tedious task because of having to balance the amount of homework received and other tasks that must also be completed. According to kidshealth.org, “most high-school students have between 1 and 3 hours of homework a night.” This would simply increase the students’ struggle to complete other work.

“Every year [the teacher] can give students a little more homework, which is okay until [the students] reach their Junior year because of college applications,” said Ms. Feinstein, 12th grade economics teacher at Millennium Brooklyn High School and a senior class advisor. She also stated that “it’s important to have the amount of homework that is most useful instead of just for the sake of it.” Appeasing to the fact that students have a lot of events going on in their lives, it is considered imperative for teachers to show that they understand that students’ focus will not only rely on their present situations but on their future as well.

“There was a change in the amount of homework we get,” Ethan Haines-LeBlanc, a senior at Millennium Brooklyn High School commented on the amount of homework high school students receive. “Sophomore to junior year was more than double.” The amount of work given to high school students increased, as they keep getting older.  

Agnes Griggs, a freshman at Millennium Brooklyn High School, revealed that, “when I do get homework, even though it’s usually not very much, I struggle a lot while doing it.” This addresses a different factor that influences the way homework is approached, the difficulty level. Regardless of the amount of homework assigned, students would struggle with doing the assignment as accurately as possible.

According to Ms. Feinstein, “it’s a challenge in education because each student has a lot of other things to do, whether it’s work for other classes, taking care of siblings, after school activities, etc. and it is difficult to balancing out.” This means that students can’t only focus on their homework, often times they have other parts of their lives that they need to work on. Students’ lives can’t only revolve around school, but it becomes strenuous to complete other activities.

Students face the challenge of trying to manage the amount of work they must complete. According to kidshealth.org, “It’s a good idea to come up with some kind of homework schedule, especially if you are involved in sports or activities or have an after-school job.” This reveals that a good approach the homework load is to have a clear plan as to what needs to get done, as well as, when it needs to be done.

Overall, students tend to struggle when trying to finish their homework, due to many of the stated factors. These factors influence the way students react to their homework load, a lot of circumstances affect their ability to do the best they can. Nonetheless, homework is something that cannot be escaped from, since it can evolve into other aspects of someone’s life, but it’s not impossible to manage.