Diversity Hits the New York City 2016 Fashion Week

Soraya St. Clair, Staff Reporter

This past month, the 2016 New York City fashion week was seen all over social media, and has became known as one of the most diverse in history.

According to Style.Mic, this past fashion week there were been several different shows where the runways were full of diversity. Kanye West hired mostly people of color, while the Chromcat Show had models of all different race, sizes and gender identities. Rihanna also featured models of color for her Puma collection.

One fashion designer that stood out this fashion week was Zac Posen. He made a bold statement during his show and it became labeled as #BlackModelsMatter. Zac Posen was inspired by black models and his Fall/Spring Fashion Line was based off of Ugandan Princess Elizabeth of Toro. In a recent interview Posen had with Style.Mic he said, “within this global environment, diversity is very important and it is something that has always been equally important to me as well as a key component of my collections, whether it is shapes, sizes, or skin color.”

Posen strongly believes that diversity needs to implanted in the world of fashion and it is essential. In fact, he created a bag labeled “Black Models Matter” and shared it on Instagram saying “#BlackModelsMatter #womenofcolormatter #Diversity is what makes the world beautiful and inspiring!”

A senior at Millennium Brooklyn High School, Luisa said that, “plus size and petite models and even models from different races have a better impact on the fashion line than regular models.” She was fascinated by Zac Posen’s works and ideas with his involvement in making diversity matter in fashion shows.

Another student at MBHS who wanted to stay anonymous, said that “I’m not into fashion, but I think that it is important to incorporate diversity in everything within society today.”

Zac Posen, a well-known fashion designer who made a bold statement, #BlackModelsMatter during NYC 2016 Fashion Week, was a big part of making this fashion week the most diverse.