On MBHS’ Pros & Cons

Andrea Hue, Staff Reporter

Every school has it’s own pros and cons and MBHS is no different. Millennium Brooklyn is widely known for it’s diversity, for having a wide variety of clubs and extracurriculars, and, most of all, for having amazing teachers.

According to the website InsideSchools, Millennium Brooklyn is special for being “academically challenging and [an] inclusive school in leafy Park Slope.” However, one downside to listed is that the school day takes place in an “old building with metal detectors and some windowless classrooms.”

Personally, I’m disappointed in the lack of class trips and other ways to have fun. Not only can students use these to relieve stress, it’s also a break from having to sit in a classroom for hours on end.

Another thing I dislike is the duration of our lunch period because it’s short and it leads to students eating the wrong foods in order to avoid being late for class. Cheap, easy, and fast food is the choice for the majority of students at MBHS.

Also, metal detectors are more of a hindrance than a benefit.  Students have to go through unreliable metal detectors, which break down seemingly every morning. Students like myself can enter the building on time just to find out that they were late to class because they spent at least five minutes being scanned.

Senior Arnelle Sullivan opened up about her opinion on pros and cons of MBHS. She said, “I like how the teachers are very connective with the students and they always want us to do our 100%. I don’t like the fact that seniors are so controlled by the teachers with our lateness. I also would’ve liked to have longer lunch and hate that we don’t have any free periods.”

Senior Tonisha Maldonado said, “I love how supportive teachers are and they’re always trying to help us do our best academically and socially.” For cons, she said, “girls have been waiting months for our lockers. I’ve been dying and I don’t trust the coat room.”

Despite a lack of fun activities and the hassle of metal detectors, a positive aspect this school is its amazing teachers. Their styles of teaching and opportunities for office hours help students stay on track.

Another attribute I love about this school is the diversity of students in comparison to my previous high school, according to Insideschools.org:

MBHS’s Demographic Breakdown of Students:

• Asian – 11%
  • Black – 25%
  • Hispanic – 29%
  • White – 28%