Obama Takes On Immigration

Ivana Lopez, Staff Reporter

Immigration in the U.S. is far from perfect and is destroying the lives of many people. In an effort to prevent families from being broken apart, and eliminate the overall fear of deportation, President Obama came up with several plans which will allow an estimated five million immigrants to obtain working papers, and become legal. Specifically, those who have already been living in the U.S. for a certain amount of years. This is a huge step for America and might cause a drastic change in how immigrants are viewed. There has been much discussion regarding this topic, and what will happen as a result of this plan.

President Obama has came up with guidelines for his new plan. These guidelines will determine which immigrants, who are currently living in the U.S, will be considered as top priority candidates for working permits. In other words it determines which immigrants are considered least likely to be deported. This would include people with strong family ties and a minimal criminal record. For example, people considered to have the strongest family ties- parents of children who were born in the U.S.

Obama’s plan calls for the legalization of millions of immigrants. This includes people living in the U.S. illegally for at least five years. According to an analysis by the Migration Policy Institute, this would affect an approximately 3.3 million people. Obama is also considering a policy that would limit the benefits to people who have lived in the U.S. for at least 10 years. This is estimated to affect about 2.5 million people. According to the New York Times, white house officials are also debating whether to include protections for illegal farm workers. These farm workers had entered the U.S. illegally, however, have been employed in the agriculture industry for years. If this is decided on, it will affect hundreds to thousands of people. Actions revolving around this plan will also provide jobs for legal immigrants with high tech skills. Their skills will be used to increase security at our Southern border, as well as improve the immigration program Secure Communities.

Just like any other plan, this one also has an opposing side. According to Republican speaker John A. Boehner, Republicans plan to take all measures in an effort to against this new plan. Boehner had stated that they would “fight the president tooth and nail.”

An MBHS student who asked to remain anonymous said she has family currently living in the U.S. who are immigrants and she feels that she is able to personally relate to this topic. When discussing the new immigration plan, the student stated that she thinks “it is good since [immigrants] would be paying taxes,” which will “contribute to the economy’s growth.” Even paying taxes will be a plus for immigrants, being that they would be recognized under the federal government, the student stated that “it also gives a chance for them to receive benefits.” Therefore, she feels that it would contribute to the U.S.’s economy as a whole, and will provide them with security under the government.

When interviewing a neighbor of mine, Lina, on this topic and she responded similarly. She also has relations to immigrants currently living in the U.S.  Lina had stated that “she could only imagine what it feels like to be living undercover.” In terms of what the new law would provide for citizens, she said that it is “very beneficial, and a huge step up for America.”

Regardless of whether people agree or disagree with this future plan, it provides an effective and efficient way of positively altering the lives of many people currently living in the U.S. There are millions of undocumented immigrants living in the U.S. in fear of being deported, and restricted from being offered various opportunities. Therefore, it is in the government’s best interest to allow these immigrants to be able to contribute to the country safely. I say safely because, if decided on, these laws have the potential to change the way society views immigrants, in a more positive way, and will therefore eventually minimize discrimination.