Decision Day Passes in a Flash

Alexia Ceballos, Staff Reporter

The day has arrived when seniors must make the choice that shapes the next four years of their lives. A lineup of beautiful schools stands before them, but they can only have one. One thought floods their minds: choose.

Pledging allegiance with a $50-500 deposit may be challenging, though. From prohibitive costs of a favorite school to mourning the loss of one’s first choice to multiple colleges that are just too good, making a decision isn’t as easy as simply clicking a button.  

The final decision is a very personal one, with many different factors going into it. Nick Astor, MBHS Senior, said that he submitted his deposit to two colleges instead of one, explaining that “I need 24-hour care, [and] I don’t know that the Medicaid program I’m in is gonna kick in in time for me to go to dorm. I want to dorm at SUNY Purchase, but I also put in my deposit in for Brooklyn College in case Purchase falls through and I can’t dorm there.” Living in the dorms is a vital part of the college experience for students like Nick, so a circumstance that would make him unable to do so could be the deciding factor in which school he goes to.

Even the basic aspects within a school can make the choice heartwrenching. “I’m going into an education major, and a big part was having a good education program. My top choice school did not even have an education major as an undergrad. When I went to visit Buffalo, I loved the vibe and the city, the campus was great, I loved it! But they didn’t have the education program I wanted and needed.”

Fortunately, MBHS college counselors are ready to help students who fall into a pitfall. The first step of counselor Emily Mottahedeh’s process with struggling students is to figure out why they are having a difficult time deciding. “If the student doesn’t know how to afford college, I talk them through financial aid and scholarship options,” Mottahedeh says. “If the student is just having trouble picking a school, we make a list of the pros and cons of each school.”

Ultimately, the goal is to get the student to pick a college by the end of the day. If they haven’t picked by midnight, their seat won’t be reserved anymore. When that happens, “there’s a whole list of people who are happy to take it,” says Mottahedeh.

The pressure to choose a college on time can make students fear that they may not make the correct choice. But if they choose with their hearts and their minds, the choice will always be right.