Long Hidden Club Grows After School

Long Hidden Club Grows After School

Christopher Dono, Staff Reporter

In MBHS, room 305 is mainly seen as the room where the seniors have Economics, and sometimes Journalism class. In some cases, they might even have Advisory in this room. However, after the Journalism office hours on Wednesday conclude, something changes inside. A few students enter around 3:05 every week, and start plugging things into the Smartboard and writing on the whiteboard. What are they doing? They’re setting up for a club that has been hidden in plain sight for a long time- the Video Game Club.

Despite being shown just as well in the Club Brochure as every other club, Game Club has always been mostly empty. There is usually an attendance of around ten to twelve students in the club every week, and most of the time half of the students are off playing their own game rather than participating in the large group game that was voted on by the students the week prior. This does not, however, diminish the appeal of the regular members. Trayquan Suglam, a 9th grader and new member of the club, describes it as “pretty fun, friends come here to hang out.” The club members are always very warm and open to new people, inviting them to join the games right away.

Monthly tournaments are also on the minds of the students who attend the club. Ms Scrivner, the teacher supervising the club, commented that “it teaches the students responsibility, since they have to sign up in advance”, as well as helping them contain their competitive attitudes. The club holds these tournaments once a month, during the final club of the month. Following the success of its first tournament in October, the next tournament- a tournament for Super Smash Brothers for Wii U according an informant in the club, who asked to remain anonymous- is showing signs of a similar success. The tournament will be held on November 29th, continuing the line of the previous tournaments being held during the final club meeting of the month.

The tournament, as usual, was a one versus one format. Players were informed of their opponent immediately before the faced each other, and the brackets were randomly generated. The informant hopes that by doing this, the tournaments can remain fair, so that everyone has a fair chance to make it as far as possible.

The informant also hopes that a new rule that was given by the president of the club- being that you cannot play the same genre of game twice in a row- the members will not only be able to get a higher variety of games in the rotation, but also allow more people who may not like the type of game that the majority of the club likes to get their favorite game played.