Should MBHS Have Study Hall?

Ariel Davson, Staff Reporter

Stress and anxiety are experienced regularly by teens try their best to balance their social, academic, and familial life. The majority of that stress stems from the overwhelming work load given to students on a daily basis, who are expected to complete then in a minute period of time. From the constant pressure to excelling, in order to reach expectations, to the stress to complete homework and do well on assessments,  more time is needed to do so. Study hall is an underlying  solution to this common issue amongst students. It is, a period  in one’s schedule that is set aside for studying and completing schoolwork.

There are  many stereotypes attached to students who voluntarily choose to take study hall according to the online source Prospect.net. Many students are pushed to take more classes because, “they are typically seen as underachievers and total slackers” according to Prospect.net.

Despite this claim, a Millennium Brooklyn High School freshman, Jessica Brunner, disagreed with that statement and said “ As a student, we receive a lot of work and a lot of stress, if we had study hall, we would be able to better manage our time as well as get a lot more work done using time effectively.”

Study hall can be used as a major tool for students who are looking for relaxation after dealing with a hectic school day, extra study/work time, and organization allowing students to sort themselves out.

The time used in study hall makes up for the minimized time many students have at home, according to Minori Kawano, a senior at Millennium Brooklyn, “there should be a time where students can catch up on everything and have the time to make up grades because students may not have the time after school due to extracurriculars.”

Time set aside for students who are stressed and overwhelmed allows many positive opportunities students can benefit from. The benefits of study hall, “depends more on the student’s individual needs and what kind of learner the student is,” guidance counselor at Millennium Brooklyn Ms.Schwarzkopf stated. The benefits of study hall may only affect those who use their time efficiently  and for its intended purpose, to complete assignments thoroughly and in a timely fashion using the extra time given.

Study hall is advised for students who are in need of some extra time to balance out their school life to then tackle the other components that make up their life, making study hall an effective tool for all students.