Colleges Catering for All

Taslim Mohammed, Staff Reporter

College is a priority for students all over the world. According to the National Center for Educational Statistics, approximately 4.1 million public school students are expected to graduate high school. Out of those students, 66.2% have applied to college. Having a clear knowledge of the choices available and a decided major or trade can alleviate stress and help students glide through the college processes. Some steps that students can take are to find out specifics about their families, what they can afford, what they are willing to pay, and if it is a reach or possible school according to Ms. Gibbons.

After applying to college, some may receive acceptances faster because of circumstances that are out of their hands. Something to do after sending the applications is to look for opportunities to apply for scholarships. Alyssa Montes, a senior at MBHS, shares her thoughts about this, “since college prices are ridiculously high, it’s important to apply for scholarships as early as possible.” Scholarships are offered in a variety of ranges, from written responses to going out and helping the community.

Ms. Mott, a teacher at MBHS, shared her view on college, stating it is important for students, “so they can learn to see the world in new and important ways.” This is vital for many students to figure out, since the world is such a big place. Colleges can offer many new experiences, such as studying abroad, making connections with others, and finding job placements and internships. College is a huge experience that many students go through, and that others push off until later. College offers many experiences which can lead to exciting new paths and can further education.