New Weather, New Clothes, Same Codes

Shahrooz Khan, Staff Reporter

Spring is coming this Friday and that means warmer weather! These past few months have been unforgiving.

For students like Sory Kora “I generally hate winter, I have to keep taking off and putting back on my jacket, plus I can’t go out.”

For students like Anthony Tse, “winter is the best season.” “The snow is just too unreal and soothing to the eye, it seems like its right out of a dream.”

No one has the power to change the weather, but we have the power to adapt and the ability to choose what we wear. People are starting to go shopping and bringing out their clothes that were put away for the Winter. Students should remember though, that there are still dress codes to follow.

According to the Department of Education in New York City’s book of codes, dress codes were created “in order to provide an environment conducive to promoting educational excellence with minimum distractions and disruptions of the learning environment.” The main things to remember are as follows:

• Recognize that extremely brief garments such as tube tops, net tops, halter tops, tank tops, spaghetti straps, plunging necklines (front and/or back), clothing that exposes mid-section of the body, mini skirts, and see-through garments are NOT appropriate for school.
  • Ensure that all underwear is completely covered by outer garments.
  • Include footwear at all times.
  • Not include the wearing of hats in the building, except for acceptable documentation of medical or religious purpose.
  • Not include items that are vulgar, obscene, and libelous, or denigrate others on account of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.