Pennies for Patients at MBHS

Erin Goeringer, Staff Reporter

Pennies for Patients is a campaign designed to collect funds during a 3 week period at elementary, middle, and high schools across the nation. The money raised is used to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. According to the Pennies for Patients website, over the last 20 years, millions of dollars have been made.

Here at MBHS, Pennies for Patients is slowly becoming a tradition. This is our school’s third year participating in the campaign. According to Ms. Baumgarten, an assistant principal directing Pennies for Patients, “the goal for this year is to raise at least $2,000 to beat last year’s record of $1,500.”

Last year’s winning advisory was Sole Pancake, Mr. Wallin’s advisory. They had a pizza party to celebrate their big accomplishment and enjoyed their advisors new haircut, a decision contingent on the students “raising at least $200,” according to Mr.Wallin. He kept his promise and gave himself a mohawk after his advisory ended up winning by “raising around $250.”

This year, Mr. Wallin plans to make a bet with mohawks once again, this time including students. Trey Watson, a sophomore in Mr.Wallin’s advisory says, “Mr. Wallin wants me to get a mohawk this year if we win!” and that the students in his advisory “get excited about donating because they want to see Mr.Wallin’s new hair.”

This school wide campaign has raised a lot of money throughout MBHS since its 3 years of existence. With the help of teachers and faculty, the students in every advisory compete and strive to raise money to help the cause, win a pizza party, and bragging rights.

MBHS faculty are hopeful that they will reach their goal of $2000 and help contribute to the Leukemia and Lymphoma society’s cause once again.