The Legend of Ingrid Michelson

Xin Tang, Staff Reporter

Mariah Carey, Prince Royce, Darius Rucker, Rockettes and many others joined the star-studded holiday special, Christmas in Rockefeller Center on December 3rd, according to the New York Times. Among them was Ingrid Michaelson, country music star and sister of MBHS’s geometry teacher, Charlie Michaelson. According to Mr. Michaelson, the concert was “amazing and entertaining” and he described his sister’s performance as “heartwarming.”

Ingrid Michelson performed her hit song “Girls Chase Boys” from her new album “Lights Out” on the big stage of Rockefeller Center.  Not only did Ingrid Michelson perform her own songs, she also performed holiday songs such as “Jingle Bell Rock” and many others.  The performance “was a pleasant and funny,” said Mr. Michaelson, watching the performance on TV from the comfort of his apartment.

Ingrid Michelson, being the busy and famous artist she is, performed again at Webster Hall in New York on December 10th.  This time, she invited and gave tickets to her friends and family member to see her perform.

Again performing songs from her album and other holiday songs, Ingrid was also telling jokes to entertain the crowd. According to Mr. Michelson, it was “funny” and it seemed like it was “fun for her as well.” Ingrid Michelson’s performance at Webster Hall was a great success.

Mr. Robinson, another teacher from Millennium Brooklyn HS, also attended the concert at Webster Hall. According to Mr. Robinson, “[Ingrid Michaelson and her band] were very funny.  They could have been on Saturday night live.” According to Mr. Robinson, “Ingrid Michaelson’s voice was really good, even if you are not a fan of music, you will be a fan of her.”  Robinson adds on that, “Ingrid Michaelson has a very strong connection with her fans and the audience.”

Michaelson described his experience being a brother to a pop-star. He said, “it feels as it always was. Nothing has changed. Her fame and successes grew slowly, not rapidly, therefore it was easily able to be predicted.”

Mr. Michaelson is tremendously proud of his little sister. “She has come a long way,” he said. Furthermore, there are several benefits of being the brother of an idol. “It’s convenient for me to get free tickets to a big concert and have the opportunity to meet famous people,” he said.  Ingrid is a close friend with many stars, specifically the famous country musician, Taylor Swift.  According to Mr. Michaelson, “they eat lunch whenever they are free from all the tours, concerts, ceremony, etc.” Before all the fame, Ingrid was like us, an everyday New Yorker except that she possessed exceptional talents, which she used to become a musical idol.

Having lived in Staten Island, Ingrid attended Staten Island Tech. Having attended a specialized high school like her brother who attended Stuyvesant High School, Ingrid was forced to work hard in her academic pursuits. Yet Ingrid’s passion for the arts was never extinguished and she would sing or listen to music during her free time. According to Mr. Michelson, Ingrid passionately took piano lessons as well as singing lessons during her young age.  Being influenced by both her parents, a sculptor and a composer, Ingrid loved to sing.  Having graduated from SIT, Ingrid attended Binghamton University. Throughout her time in Binghamton, Ingrid split her time between school and theater. After graduating, she became a film director for a short period of time, but later on realized her passion for music. She released her first album in 2005 and from there her music career skyrocketed.