MBHS Wins Award for Outstanding High School

Elana Shaulova, Staff Reporter

photo (44) (600x800)In December of 2014, Millennium Brooklyn High School received the 2014 Blackboard Award for Outstanding High School. Winning a Blackboard Award is a huge honor in the educational world.

In 2002, the New York Family’s parent company, Manhattan Media founded the Blackboard Awards. Wanting to fulfill two important things, the Blackboard Awards informs parents about their child’s education, while celebrating and recognizing schools. Parents have to nominate schools, principals, teachers, etc. in order for one to win the award.

According to assistant principal, Ms. Lindsey Baumgarten, Millennium Brooklyn “got a call from the company about the winnings and attended the awards ceremony” in which our founding principal, Dr. Lisa Gioe “received a plaque” that sits proudly in her office.

In an article on newyorkfamily.com, Dr. Gioe states that “we are like one big family” which she describes as unique. She explains that she has a lot of pressure on herself “to make sure that our founding class had as many opportunities and positive experiences.”

After asking multiple students at Millennium Brooklyn if they knew of our winning, most of them said they didn’t know. Josette Ferreira, senior at Millennium Brooklyn said she’s “surprised” and feels “fancy” to be attending a school that has just won an award.