Opinion: The Lockers Are Coming!

Justin Alvarez, Staff Reporter

It is a very frustrating situation to go somewhere every day with multiple items that belong to you but have no secure place to put them. The female population in MBHS has felt this pain. However, after months of constant burden, girls’ lockers are finally being installed.

Female students at MBHS have gone through many struggles this year, including beginning the year with no bathroom or lockers. The boys, however, have had the luxury of a bathroom as well as a locker room since the start of the year. Although the girls have a coat room, they have no real place to secure their personal items and ensure their protection.

The girls finally received their lockers the week of December 15, four months after school began and three months after the boys received their locker room. When the news that the lockers were finally here came there was a sigh of relief. “Wait they’re finally here?” exclaimed Senior Monica Chhay.

However, upon actually seeing them, much of the enthusiasm waned due to the conditions of the lockers. To find out just how many people felt disappointed by this, MBHS news created a survey of just four questions asking to answer on a scale from 1-10.

1. Did you feel strongly about needing lockers?
  2. Rate your excitement when finding out the lockers were here.
  3. What was your level of disappointment if any when you saw the lockers?
  4. How excited are you now after seeing the lockers?

According to the survey, 19 out of 24 girls had nearly the same initial reaction of, “oh my gosh, finally,” but, when they got up close, their reactions turned to a more, “are you serious?” and “ew, they’re gross.”

My reactions to the lockers were very similar, they looked nice when I first turned the corner and saw them but when I really got up close I saw many flaws. The lockers seem unfit for the hallway, and are also very old and dirty.

“They are so gross, they look like old used lockers, they have writing on them and pieces of gum already stuck to them and they look all scratched up and some have writing and even stains on them” says Aliyah Latif.

I personally think with the amount of time taken to get them we would be getting all brand new lockers.