Community Service for the Holidays

Tia Brown, Staff Reporter

As we all know (or should know by now) five hours of community service is mandatory for every student per quarter according to the Millennium Brooklyn graduation guidelines. On Saturday, December 20 from 9am to 1pm, students have the opportunity to help the 9/11 museum store with holiday duties that includes unpacking and sorting products for display, folding clothes and tagging items for pricing. At Barnes and Noble, here in Park Slope, students can help raise money for a not-for-profit by wrapping gifts from 4pm to 9pm on the following days Monday December 15, Tuesday December 23 and Wednesday December 24.

For those of you who are thinking of signing up Mr. Faughnan is someone great to talk to for clarifications. He believes “It’s good this time of year to engage in service around the holiday time, students also have this opportunity to get their hours in.”

Students thinking about participating also feel the same way. For instance, Senior Shahrooz Khan states “I want to help out the less fortunate because although I love the holidays. I remember not everyone can celebrate the way they want to. I’d like to give back by being a helping hand at the least.” Everyone should enjoy the holidays the way they want, but should keep in mind there are opportunities to help others enjoy it too.