#TransformationTuesday MBHS: Then And Now

Briana Santiago, Staff Reporter

Millennium Brooklyn High School was born in the Summer of 2011 to help find a home for all of the high school students searching for an accelerated education in the Downtown Brooklyn community.

In 2011, many freshmen who are now our first graduating class of 2015 entered not knowing what was to come. When seniors like Alyssa Montes and Shahrooz Khan first entered the school, they were blinded because the school they were about to enter was just beginning.

Montes expresses that she was at first “skeptical to see what was going to come,” and then when she came she realized that the school was “more welcoming than anything.”

Khan felt similar about the school, although he mentions that there wasn’t a “large diversity” but he “liked that it was a small school.” At first Khan was upset that he didn’t get into the schools that he wanted to get into like many other seniors starting out and he thought that the school “ wouldn’t be that great but it actually turned out to be fine.”

Now, the reactions from freshman who just came this past September are really different. Freshman Jordan Buckley, who started Millennium Brooklyn in September, felt 100% different than the Seniors did when they first started. He mentions that when  he found out he was coming here he was “actually excited.” “It was a big change from a big school to a smaller school but I was excited for it,” he said.

Unlike many of the Seniors when they first came in, freshman felt a lot more excited and looked forward to coming here while the seniors weren’t as excited because MBHS wasn’t their first choice when applying to High School. Millenium Brooklyn High School, went from being a last minute resort to being a school students are looking into so they can apply just like many other student. PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT US NOW!