The Machines Are Taking Over Our Classes

Sarah Carrillo, Staff Reporter

Google is slowly taking over the internet. From a search engine to a social media circle, it can help with all your needs. Recently Google has introduced Google Classroom, which is a way for students to turn in assignments posted by teachers through the virtual classroom.

Many have found it easy and convenient. Taylor Morton said, “I prefer to [turn in assignments through Google Classroom] over handwritten homework.”

Students can find all their assignments on the home screen which takes out any miscommunication issue. Not only is homework posted on the classroom, but announcements are too. These announcements give students a heads up on upcoming class discussions and seminars. Taylor said, “Google Classroom has made me more reliant on technology.”

This brings up the question of whether technology and the Internet are good things to depend on. Elana Shaulova mentioned that it may be unfair for those students who are not fortunate enough to have computer access. This can cause a huge disadvantage in their academic studies.

Both Taylor and Elana agreed that the policies of Google Classroom were fair. Due dates were reasonable, and the functions were easy to understand. However, Google still has to work out some kinks.

Students have complained that it is annoying that they cannot edit items after turning them in. Taylor said, “We’re human and I’d like to go back and fix things sometimes.”

Other things that could be changed are clearing out items that have already been done, so a student only sees an assignment they haven’t done yet. Creating co-owners on a file would be a plausible function for many group work activities.

A positive aspect of Google Classroom is how eco-friendly this new network is. Last year, MBHS went through a paper shortage, and teachers had to cut down on the use of handouts. Google Classrooms allows teachers to electronically share articles and assignment details. With this being said, do you – a student – enjoy Google Classroom? Do you think it’s okay for Google to take over almost everything, including our learning environment?