Nickelodeon Was Way Better in the 90’s

Arnelle Sullivan, Staff Writer

When I think of the glory days of my childhood, I always feel incredibly blessed that I was part of the generation who experienced Nickelodeon at its prime: the 90’s.

Anytime the topic of this once great network is brought up anyone born in the 90’s, it’s met with nostalgia. From Rugrats to Doug, Rocko’s Modern Life to Hey Arnold, 90’s cartoons are classics.

Over the years, Nickelodeon has made many changes within their channel, including their TV shows and layout. The network said that they made these changes since the audience was changing.  I’ve decided to see what Millennium Brooklyn High School students thought about this topic, especially ones that were not born in the 90’s. I interviewed senior Kianna Lindsay and freshman Nataelle Pitts to see if they like Nickelodeon’s changes.

Similar to my feelings of longing and wistfulness, Kianna Lindsay, 17, misses 90’s cartoons as much as the next person. “The old shows had a different vibe than the new ones,” she states. “Rocket Power was my fave because it actually had a purpose.” Like many others, Kianna hates the new Nickelodeon shows.

Lindsay believes that they don’t teach kids valuable lessons. “For example, Rocket Power’s purpose was to show kids that playing sports was cool and fun. Shows like Breadwinners have no purpose and just show stupidity.” She wishes that Nickelodeon would go back to the way it used to be. “If they showed more of the old shows during the day rather than at 12 pm, Nickelodeon would be a lot better.”

Freshman Nataelle Pitts, 14,  disagrees with Kianna’s claim and enjoys the humor and jokes in the newer cartoons. “The older shows were too serious,” the freshman said. “There were so many hidden jokes that were inappropriate to the kids watching at the time.” Nataelle believes that the newer shows are more “kid-friendly” since Nickelodeon is supposed to be a “kids’ station.” “People need to remember that times change and things evolve everyday. Just because a group of people liked something at one point doesn’t mean another will like it too.”

There is both good and bad within the changes that Nickelodeon has made in the last 15 years, but the 90’s is something that many of us will always hold on to. Luckily for 90’s kids, Nickelodeon has The 90’s Are All That, a four-hour block that airs classic shows that were unfortunately canceled. It is the current decade’s way of reliving the past, and it is perfectly on schedule.