Ebola Travels…

Leila Lubin, Staff Reporter

On September 30, 2014, the CDC (Center for Disease Control) reported the first case of Ebola in the United States.

A man traveled to Dallas, Texas from Liberia. The man did not have symptoms when leaving Liberia, but developed symptoms four days after arriving in the United States. On October 10, 2014, a nurse who was treating this patient for Ebola at the Texas Presbyterian Hospital tested positive for Ebola. Five days later, another nurse was also diagnosed with the virus, after traveling back and forth between Dallas and Cleveland by plane. The first patient who contracted the virus in the U.S. has died, and the other two nurses are now free of Ebola. Everyone thought that this would be the end of Ebola in the United States, but sadly, on October 23, 2014 a medical aid from Doctors without Borders was diagnosed with Ebola in New York City. It was confirmed on the 24th of October. The person traveled from Manhattan to Brooklyn by the A, L, and 1 train and took a city cab back to Manhattan. This has gotten multiple people afraid of the virus spreading within the city.

When questioned, a Senior at Millennium Brooklyn High School, who wished to remain anonymous, stated that Ebola “is a topic that is creating a lot of anxiety in the country.” This is true since many people are paranoid that if someone coughs or sneezes (especially on the train), they might contract Ebola. I have witnessed this myself. Once a man sneezed multiple times on a train that I was on and a lady near him looked at him and switched carts at the next stop. The same Senior also said that “it is necessary to be informed in order to prevent it [Ebola] from spreading. Knowing the facts is beneficial in keeping citizens safe and healthy.”

The Department of Education has sent out a citywide letter to all students and their parents stating that it is unlikely for the virus to spread, but it is smart to wash your hands. As well as to cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze. Do you agree that doing only this will help?