Senior Activities: Sculpting Memories for Future Days

Ariel Davson, Staff Reporter

Millennium Brooklyn High School Class of 2017 seniors are at the end of their very hectic, but exciting senior year as they conclude their final year with loads of planned activities dedicated to their hard work.

Most students are trying to push through the final stretch of their senior year as it is just around the corner.

According to the Millennium Brooklyn Student Planner events that exist for seniors are senior legacy  day that has recently just passed on Friday, April 28th, 2017, senior breakfast that will be held on May 26th, Prom on June 7th, and finally graduation on June 21st.

Many students are looking forward to the upcoming events. Current senior, Makajah Marks, states she is most excited for “prom, of course, because I am going to be slaying prom okay.” She added that she is also “excited for senior trip, because my birthday is around that day so we are going to turn up.”

Most seniors see senior activities as opportunities to form new, long lasting memories with their friends before they go their separate ways. The importance of senior activities differ for many seniors, senior Trey Watson states, “I think [the senior activities] are [important] if that’s what you like to do, but I personally don’t care that much.” This Portrays that not every senior is psyched about spending specific final moments with their senior class due to reasonings such as lack of interest, affordability or even a detachment from their senior class, it all depends on the students alone and their preference.   

Senior activities are put in place as some are believed to be, “well needed especially since we don’t have trips every year as Millennium Brooklyn, it is well needed as we do a lot of work so we need that reward” stated Makajah Marks. The efforts that are put in place to be able to reward seniors for their hard work and dedication is done by the school and Parent Association, but mainly accompanied by the help and dedication of  Ms.Rogan and Ms.Morales as they are in charge of the senior committee and senior activities for the academic year of 2016-2017. The main efforts toward making sure specific senior activities are enjoyed and ran as smoothly as possible as stated by one of the teachers involved in planning senior activities Ms.Morales states it’s through, “event planning skills, it encompasses a lot of online research and outreach, making phone calls and exploring what option is most cost effective”. Therefore Senior activities are carefully planned in order to satisfy the current senior class.

According to Ms. Morales, as senior activities were being planned, those in charge of the immediate planning, “care about students happiness and satisfaction,” but, “some students suggest ideas like cruises, Disney trips etc. Those trips would be SO expensive that it’d be elitist and problematic to create a trip that is inevitably going to ostracize multiple students because of financial reasons and be an open forum for people in positions of privilege.”

Many pressures and motivation go into planning memorable activities for all seniors, therefore the senior activities in place were taken into consideration based off of how cost effective it will be as well as how enjoyable it would be in order to include everyone.

The way current senior activities are planned differ from previous high school seniors, as Ms.Rogan explained her experience during her senior year. She stated, “we had a senior celebrity night, senior ring ceremony, junior and senior Prom, senior Breakfast/senior. It was all planned by the teachers and parents.”

Senior activity planning currently allows seniors to participate in giving input and ideas into what they believe would be the most enjoyable experience for themselves and their fellow classmates. As suggested by Ms.Rogan for future seniors when planning their senior activities, “each graduating class needs help from student government, and the president and vice president should also help to plan some unique experiences for each class, we need more students to help brainstorm ideas before it’s too late!”