Gaining Life Experience Through Sports  

Gaining Life Experience Through Sports  

Eric Iliyev, Staff Reporter

Millennium offers a wide range of sport programs for students to participate in, but sports are about more than just building muscle. Millennium is a part of The Public Schools Athletic League (PSAL) which is “for all New York City Public High Schools” being there to “provide athletic opportunities in 25 varsity sports for more than 45,000 student-athletes,” according to their website.

Boy’s Varsity Basketball Coach Shawnelle Scott feels that sports have “provided me with countless amounts of opportunities” alongside “the great pleasure of not only helping myself, but also helping and assisting others.”

Coach Brian McCarthy values sports because he says “I have learned many life lessons and met great people.” Involving himself in sports and seeing the positive impact it had on his life is why McCarthy tries to “share this [the impact of sports] with my students and athletes.”

Student-athlete Jose Moronta joined the baseball team in 10th grade and will be graduating as one of its pitchers. Moronta appreciates the impact of baseball on his life, crediting it for being “able to see things differently” and says “I am able to push my body further than I’ve had before.” The impact of sports has led to Moronta learning more about himself and what his limits may be in the future.

The student-athletes of the Millennium’s PSAL Girls Softball and PSAL Boy Baseball will continue to develop as PSAL Spring Session Sports are about to begin. Both teams will open their seasons against Telecommunication Arts & Technology with the girls game on March 24 and the boys game on March 28.