Millennium Baseball Team Previews Season

Christopher Martinez, Staff Reporter

“By the end of the year my goal is to be playing in Yankee Stadium for the PSAL Championship,” senior Thomas McGovern said about the upcoming season.  Millennium looks to improve upon a 7-9 record in their third year in the highest league in High School Baseball, the Triple-A league. They had six more wins than in the 2014-2015 seasons which is a great improvement, improvement they look to keep building on this upcoming season.

When asked about expectations for the upcoming season, head coach of the Phoenix Brian Freedman said, “My expectations are that we compete every single time we take the field. I would like to look back at this season regardless of our record and know that every game we fought.”  

As the season approaches, the players are getting more excited and more confident as they have been working hard all year long to prepare for the season. Millennium is less than one week away till when Millennium opens up their season against Telecommunications, 2012-2013 PSAL Triple-A Champions, who Millennium split the season series with 1-1 last year.

The 2017 Season will be the farewell season for 8 seniors in Millennium. Millennium Brooklyn senior Jason Bagliore had this to say about the future of the team, “I’m not worried at all about this team’s future. Even though our seniors are leaving, our underclassmen are all talented hardworking ball players with a ton of potential.”  When asked about to team’s biggest strength, head coach Brian Freeman said, “We have competitors. A team full of talent that doesn’t compete and push each other won’t play to their potential. I hope that with the level of competition on this team we can play to the best of our abilities.” As the season starts, the Millennium team has only championship aspirations for the 2017 season.  Senior Evan Sinclair said, “My goal this season is to win a championship.”