Peer Pressure Influences Students Positively and Negatively

Emilia Paluszek, Staff Reporter

Peer pressure is a major part of school life, especially when people are in high school. Though it does often have a negative connotation floating around it, peer pressure should not only be perceived negatively. In fact, peer pressure affects students in both positive and negative ways.

According to Headsup.scholastic.com, “during early adolescence in particular, teenagers are drawn to the immediate rewards of a potential choice and are less attentive to the possible risks. Second, teenagers in general are still learning to control their impulses, to think ahead, and to resist pressure from others.”  Another website, Kidshealth.org stated that, “peers influence your life, even if you don’t realize it, just by spending time with you.” Essentially, peer pressure is a glorified term for “monkey see monkey do.” However, it’s not just negative. Kidshealth.org continued, saying that “You learn from [other students], and they learn from you. It’s only human nature to listen to and learn from other people in your age group.”

Ms. Feinstein, a 12th grade advisor and Economics teachers added, “peer pressure may cause students to act in a certain way or say things they might not otherwise have. Of course, it is not always negative, as peer pressure can push students to work harder or to focus on instructions or lessons.”

There is, of course, mention of peer pressure in Millennium Brooklyn High School (MBHS), as well. Ms. Feinstein shared her thoughts, saying that, “I think peer pressure affects MBHS students because most students spend all day with the same students, going from class to class. It can be easier to become pressured by those you spend the most time with.”

Giselle Tecante, a senior at MBHS, expressed that, “kids in this school are easy going; I don’t feel any peer pressure here. People have their own cliques here but they’re accepting, and there’s no judgement if you say no to something.” However, she also revealed that she was peer pressured before, “but [she] didn’t give into it because [she] knew better.”

Additionally, a freshman, Agnes Griggs, agreed with Giselle, saying, ““I haven’t experienced peer pressure in this school.”