Murals Represent MBHS Diversity

Shiloh Germain, Staff Reporter

The murals of a Phoenix, designed and painted by the students, are significant to the personality of Millennium Brooklyn’s community because they show the qualities and interests of the students. Millennium Brooklyn High School’s floor is filled with student art on the walls and are all themed around the school’s mascot, the Phoenix. They hold a significance to the school and the students who inhabit it. The different characters depicted in the murals give an idea of the integrated community that Millennium Brooklyn High School has.

Two years ago, Ms. Davidson, Millennium Brooklyn’s art teacher, organized a school beautification project on New York Cares day,  when these murals were painted. She expresses that the mural helped “make it our own space.” Millennium Brooklyn is still a fairly new school, and the murals were a way to mark the school as MBHS’ own space.

The murals have meaning to the people of the MBHS community. A senior at MBHS, Yelena Reyes, wishes she was involved in creating the murals. She explains that she believes that the murals “…shows diversity and… how much appreciation we have for our school.”

Widewalls.com states, “…[murals are] meant to promote the opinion of the people and to transmit social… messages towards unity.” The Murals in MBHS do just that; they depict the different types of people in MBHS while showing their community.