Chance The Rapper’s ‘Coloring Book’

Rosie Dunphy, Staff Reporter

Last week Chance The Rapper released his first mixtape, Coloring Book, since his 2013 mixtape Acid Rap.

The mixtape incorporates a gospel sound and spiritual themes relating to his Chicago upbringing, his identity, and his connection with God. These themes are shown in songs like Blessings and Angels. Kanye West’s The Life Of Pablo was called a gospel album, but with Coloring Book, Chance really brings that to a truer level. The mixtape has features from many rappers like Kanye West, Future, Young Thug, and more.

There’s been a lot of positive feedback about Chance’s new sound. MBHS Senior and long time fan of Chance The Rapper, Cody Maldonado, “really enjoyed how independent Chance has become.” He said, “I think the songs play through nicely and I really enjoy the church related themes.”

Despite positive feedback, there are those who don’t appreciate the album as much as others. Cooper Rowsom, a senior at Midwood High School, thought, “the album didn’t live up to his last for me. It was a bit too gospel and on the more rap based songs it seemed like he was trying to be a new wave rapper.”

The mixtape was released under no record label and is available for streaming. As a self-released album, Chance touches on his dislike for labels in the mixtape. According to a Billboard article, Coloring Book is the first streaming-exclusive album to be on the Billboard top 200 chart, reaching number eight.