Film vs. Digital

Rosie Dunphy, Staff Writer

In the past few decades photography has seen a rising popularity in digital photos. With this emerging popularity has come debate. Many photographers and photography fans may find themselves wondering, which is better, film or digital?

The first digital camera was built in 1975. They gained consumer popularity in the 1990’s, many replacing film for digital. When comparing things like resolution, pixel count, digital noise, etc., various pros and cons can be found for both sides of the argument.

Photographers who favor film often make the argument that, “you simply can’t reproduce the look, feel and colors of film on any digital camera.” Film photos have a soft feel to them and with certain types of film, colors look much different than could be done on a digital camera.

Shay Kothari, a Berkeley Carroll High School senior, explained that he prefers, “film to digital because I enjoy experimenting with different kinds of film for different environments.” He also likes, “the graininess and definition of an image that film gives you.” 

Mr.Robinson, MBHS’s photography teacher, started out with film and experienced the transition from film to digital. “I was resistant to a lot of [new technology]. But eventually I saw photographers doing new, interesting things with digital and it became convenient.” For many photographers that prefer digital, convenience is a big factor.

Cody Maldonado, a senior photographer at MBHS, favors digital photography, “because it allows me to see the images I create instantly. Not only is it cheaper than film in the long run, but I’m able to share my work right on the spot.” The expense of buying and developing film adds up over time, so eventually a $600 camera will be worth saving the money that would be spent on film.

Many arguments can be made from both sides. Whether it be about image resolution or range, whether film or digital is better is usually subjective to the photographers vision and preferences.