Athletic Night Fever at Barclays

Eliott Beaufils, Staff Reporter

Athletic Night is becoming a Millennium Brooklyn tradition. In this new and exciting tradition, captains from every sport team, and the cheerleaders, get to go down on the court at the NBA game in the famous Barclays Center. This event occurred on the 15th of March for the game of the Nets vs the 76ers. Thanks to a partnership with the Nets, a part of the cost of ticket goes to Millennium Athletics Department.

One captain per team (boys teams and girls teams) were invited to go down on the court at halftime to high five the players. According to Mrs. McElveen, a teacher and coach of the cheerleading team, “the cheerleaders performed their best of the year so far before the game.”

One of the cheerleaders stated, “At first I was nervous going on the court but ended up having a lot of fun performing.” 

Many Students attended the Athletic Night event and reported having fun being with their friends

“Athletic Night is a fun community gathering,” stated Ms Nagano a teacher and the coach of the Cross Country team. She seemed very appreciative that the captains actively represented the team.

Last but not least, some of teachers accepted to lessen the homework load and the attendees were very grateful.

Finally here are some suggestion from Students and teachers that were interviewed for this article:

•   If we could sit together as a school
  •   Make a deal with teachers to reduce the amount of homework to be minimal or none, if more than fifty percent of students attend the event.
  •   Spend more time with the players
  •   Find a way for more people to attend(families, friends and students)
  •   Make sure to do it again

IMG_05511 (1) IMG_64271 IMG_57351