New SAT, Many Questions

Julie Terrone, Staff Reporter

Millennium Brooklyn High School, an up and coming college preparatory school, has been newly introduced to college board’s new SAT. Our community’s underclassmen, specifically juniors, have transformed into College Board’s lab rats. The test that was distributed on March 3rd 2016 was unlike any SAT that had previously been distributed.

According to Princeton Review, a well known SAT prep material company, “The content on the new SAT is very similar to that which is on the ACT. The major difference is in how the concepts are tested and the steps students will have to take to solve problems correctly. Students have to reason their way through this exam by tackling problems in a linear and sequential fashion; a student’s ability to process information quickly is key.” As a whole, the test has changed its rules. For instance, there are no longer any penalties on marking incorrect answers and there are only four choices instead of five.

With the new SAT, comes many uncertainties.

Junior, Emily Santiago said, “Junior year has been very difficult, the classes are challenging and preparing for college is stressful. I had no idea the SAT this year was changing as much as it did. I felt extreme uncertainty before I took the test because I had no background knowledge on the test itself.”

Another, junior, Thomas McGovern, said, “I felt the test was was complicated, but the new rule that filling in every question without getting points deducted, if answered wrong was cool.”