Sooner is Better Than Later for SAT & ACT

Thierno Diallo, Staff Reporter

Graduating from high school is a long process that we all go through in life, and taking the SAT or ACT exam plays a large role in that process.

According to The Huffington Post, “Students should start test prep in the spring of their sophomore year in order to be prepared to take the tests in the fall or spring of junior year.” Students shouldn’t wait until their senior year to start thinking about the SAT/ACT exam. At the beginning of their junior year, they should focus on taking the exam they feel most comfortable in. By doing so, they know what to expect on the test and they will be able to focus  on their college application during senior year.

Ms. Gibbons, MBHS college counselor, advises students to do “all sorts of prep” to prepare for the SAT/ACT, depending on their budget and what best fit them. College Board, Kaplan, and Tutors Etc. are examples of ways any student can prepare to take either the test. She also mentioned that a lot of students ask her,  “Am I going to get into college?” She tells them that she and Ms.  Mottahedeh, another Millennium Brooklyn  college counselor, are always here to help and support students get through their applications.

Some colleges require both test scores and they look at them to compare students from different places. However, some do not take test scores into consideration at all. Regardless, the scores students get on either the SAT/ACT aren’t always the most important in their chances for college admission.