Jumping for Joy: MBHS’ New Stunt Cheerleading Team

Danica Brisco, Staff Reporter

At MBHS exciting things are happening as the sports programs expand, offering a wide range of activities to students, but perhaps the most exciting of them is the new stunt cheerleading team, set to start practicing in March.

Stunt team focused on a fusion of cheerleading and gymnastics and, since the cheer leading club started, it has been a hit with MBHS students. Spreading school spirit and exhibiting their enthusiasm at school wide events such as basketball games and student gatherings, the team has been very popular with the student body.

According to Chloe Carter Daves, a senior involved with the cheerleading and stunt teams at MBHS, “Stunt is a varsity PSAL sport based on cheer leading and gymnastics. Essentially, learning 24 stunting routines focusing on different types of stunts and jumps and competing against other teams around the city in a judged competition format.” She added that, “At this point, we haven’t started any of the actual stunt practice. Currently we’re focused on cheering on the boys and girls varsity basketball teams and our upcoming performance at the Barclays Center in March. After basketball season is over, we will begin stunt practice and we will have regular competitions in the spring.”

Many students are very excited to see the new stunt team in action and can’t wait to support the team at competitions. Hoping to have a successful first season, the stunt team will be hard at work and is definitely a MBHS team to keep your eye on!