The Dilemma Of Procrastination

Caption.

Photographer

Caption.

Eric Franco, Staff Reporter

After procrastinating for three days, I decided to finally write my article on what procrastination is.

Procrastination is the action of delaying and rescheduling something.

After coming home everyday from basketball practice, I’m exhausted and the last thing I want to do is complete my extensive amount of homework. I look for alternatives and wait for the last minute to get it done.

According to psychologist Eric Jaffe, “everyone procrastinates sometimes, but 20% of people chronically avoid difficult tasks and deliberately look for distractions.” Less important tasks tend to be more important when procrastinating.

At Millennium Brooklyn, students are constantly bombarded with large amounts of work to do in short periods of time. Students become overwhelmed and choose to complete the work that is less important first. Procrastination is eating up MBHS students’ time and lives without them even knowing.

I asked around the halls of Millennium Brooklyn to determine what other people think about procrastination. Senior at MBHS Pauline Kern, states, “I procrastinate as soon as I get home and I do everything but my homework first.” This causes students to stay up late, and affect their normal sleep cycle.

MBHS Guidance Counselor, Mrs Schwarzkopf, said, “The more work you receive, the more likely you’re going to procrastinate.” She also said that students procrastinate because of their fear of failure, lack of motivation, and lack of interest.

Limiting procrastination from our daily lives is the key to success, solely because the time in a day flies by and before you know it the day will be over.

Tips to stop procrastinating

• If you feel the task is too tedious, ask someone to help you.
  • Try to eliminate thinking about doing something else.
  • Start with the task, and the farther you get the more you’ll feel accomplished.
  • Your motivation  should be the feeling of accomplishment and success when you finish the task.