Huge Turnout for Out of The Darkness Suicide Prevention Walk

Danica Brisco, Staff Reporter

On sunday October 25 2015, 130 students from Millennium Brooklyn High School attended the walk for suicide prevention in Battery park, showing an overwhelming amount of support and determination to make a change in the community they live in. Raising an astonishing $2,213, students surpassed their goal by over a thousand dollars.

Eric Franco, a senior who attended the walk said he attended “because it meant a lot to my advisor, Mrs Schwarzkopf. I also lost one of my cousins four  years ago to suicide, so I walked in honor of him as well. The suicide walk was great and it shows how much family members support the people they have lost due to suicide.”

Indigo Agee, a junior at MBHS said that he attended, “to support suicide victims even though I don’t directly know anyone that is a victim. The emotions and feelings that many walkers had was fully and easily visible. I was able to tell how important and meaningful such a simple walk like that meant to the families and friends of victims.”

The immense support and determination of the students involved in the prevention walk shows the widespread support for victims of suicide, and the emotional connections involved in losing a person in your life. The eventful day ended with a group photo and students left with a sense of pride.