The Boxing Disaster

Xin Tang, Staff Reporter

This fight was a boxing fan’s tragic dream.  Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao was billed as “The Fight of the Century” by the New York Times. This was a professional boxing match between two of the best boxers in the world, however this wasn’t the case on May, 2nd, 2015. While Mayweather (48-0) had been in recent fight to aggressively scrap at his opponent, he clearly reverted to his old ways on Saturday night, perhaps a sign to the threat that Pacquiao (57-6-2) posed to his undefeated record. While Mayweather won a unanimous decision by a large margin on the final scorecards — 118-110 on one; 116-112 on the other two — the fight actually was as one sided as one would believe. Pacquiao spent much of the night aggressively attacking Mayweather, while the undefeated champion tap-danced around the ring. In a few instances, Pacquiao cornered Mayweather and unleashed a wave of punches, but Mayweather either grabbed a hold of Pacquiao or slid out of the way. The fight was a disappointing to many especially to students, teachers, and Staff in Millennium Brooklyn HS.

Jeremy Polidura, a senior at MBHS, as well as a boxing fan, described the fight as a “waste of time and money.”After paying $100 to watch the fight himself, he claims that “it could be a lot better.”

According to Chris Granados, one of the staff members in MBHS, “on Saturday I didn’t know what I saw was a fight or a hug fest marathon.”