Is There A Right Way To Break Up With Someone?

Serina Permaul, Staff Writer

There is a time and place for everything. This especially applies when dealing with such a sensitive topic like breakups. Breakups are something everyone deals with at some point in their life, and sometimes they don’t end the way people would prefer. Ending a relationship is a part of life, and should be done so that both people in the relationship at least communicate on mutual grounds.

According to Independent.co.uk, askmen.com, 100bestdatingsites.org and other relationship advice websites, sending a text message is possibly one of the worst ways to end a relationship. 100bestdatingsites.org states, “Hearing the bzzt, bzzt, bzzt of your cell phone and seeing a text message that says, ‘I think we should just be friends. I’m sry, or it’s not you, it’s me.’ This is how low text message breakups look and sound. No matter what you say or how you word it, the fact remains that sending a text message is a pathetic, inconsiderate way to dump someone.” Other sources concluded that making someone else do it for you, telling your partner at the beginning of the day, and just blatantly ignoring the person are also terrible ways to end a relationship.

When interviewing fellow students here at MBHS about what they thought the worst way to breakup with someone, seniors Brandon Abrenica ,Steve Dorminvil and Elias Suarez say that breaking up over a text is the worst way to do it. Abrenica says that it shows, “you’re not man enough to see that significant other in person to tell them that.” Dorminvil adds, “Not telling the person why you’re breaking up with them… if you’re with someone for two plus years, they at least need to know for whatever the reason is.” Additionally Suarez states, “The worst way to breakup is right after sexual intercourse, or breaking up right after something major [or important] just happened.” He also adds that he does not think there is a worst way to breakup with someone since all breakups are usually bad.

In general, ending a long-term relationship or any type of relationship is always something hard to do. However, these things are bound to happen at least once during your life. When ending a relationship, you need to be at the right time and place so both partners get a chance to say what they need to say, and so there aren’t any hard feelings. There is never a good way to breakup with someone since all are considered bad, but from several sources and the inputs of our students here at MBHS, one of the worst ways to breakup with someone is over text.