Senior Involvement

Kelvin Louie, Staff Repoter

With the end of the school year nearing, news of senior activities are coming up. Usually, these would seem like great opportunities to relieve stress and have fun for high school seniors. However, at MBHS, this does not seem to be the case. In fact, two months ago on February 4, 2015, Ms. Morales sent an email to seniors informing them about the upcoming “Senior Ice Skating event at Prospect Park from 5-9PM” occurring on the Friday of that week. Tickets were $20 each.

The next day, seniors received another email from Ms. Morales stating, “Due to low enrollment, the ice skating event for tomorrow has been cancelled.” Students who had already paid were reimbursed. However, a statement from Ms. Morales explained that the low involvement in the activities could be due to many seniors having difficulty keeping up with deadlines. Even so, the low amount of seniors participating in some of these events discourage some students that are participating in events like the senior trip.

Two seniors, who asked to remain anonymous, were informed that only a few 20 students are participating on the trip. Both have already made their payment but AT believes the trip will be cancelled just like the previous event. A statement from Ms. Morales said that a lot more students have plans to go on the trip but many have yet to make their payment. Another statement from the student claimed that some seniors chose not to pay the school to participate in the ice skating event and instead went themselves for $10 each instead.